WW1 Veterans Remembered – Mark B. Hill
WW1 Veterans Remembered – Mark B(ennet) Hill – (1897-1971) Mark was a native of Ticonderoga and resided here for his entire life. He entered service in 1918 and received his military training at Camp Jackson, South Carolina. His service was shorten with the armistice being declared on November 11, 1918.
After his military service he returned to Ticonderoga and entered into an apprentice-ship with Ralph Powers as an electrician. On March, 1926 he formed a partnership with Stoten Spring and William W. Jeffers and operated under the business name of Spring-Hill Electrical Supply Company. Later this partnership was dissolved and he continued business as the Mark Hill Electric Supply Co.. Along with providing electrical services he added the installation of radios – something that was also gaining interest. After WW11 he added other services to his business model with the installation of oil fueled furnaces. In 1948 he installed the first air condition unit at Macauley’s Restaurant.
As it is the time to prepare for the upcoming Holiday Season it is noted that during the depression the business community in 1934 felt the need to make seasonal improvements to Ticonderoga’s downtown business section to assist in boasting sales. Mr. Hill was engaged to install the first Christmas Street Lights along Champlain and Montcalm Streets.
He was a charter member of the Ticonderoga Post of the American Legion and a member of the Mt. Defiance Lodge F&A.M.
Mark married Mary Donovan and they had two sons – Robert and Richard who both served during WW11 and two daughters – Nancy and Barbara.
He is buried at Valley View Cemetery in Ticonderoga.