Ticonderoga Schools’ History – Part Two
This school history was written by George F. Burroughs, (1902-1978) long time school teacher and principal with the Ticonderoga School system. It was written as a feature article for Town of Ticonderoga’s Two Hundredth Anniversary in 1964.
“The Union Free School District was organized in 1871 and continued until the present Central District was established in 1954. School houses were located at the Upper Falls, Weedsville, Addison Junction Branch and the Central Building, or the old Academy. Each of these schools had an elementary department of grades 1- 8. The secondary branch for all of them was in the Central Branch.
In 1887 the Board of Education requested that the school be placed under visitation of the Board of Regents and that examinations be held in February 1888.
The Ticonderoga Sentinel of August 27, 1891 reported 547 pupils in attendance.
Arithmentic Textbook c 1845 ~~ A substantial portion of book uses British measurers
The old wooden buildings were becoming inadequate. There was agitation for their replacement by many public-spirted citizens. This need was furthered by the compulsory Education Law of 1896. The Ticonderoga Sentinel of September 17th of that year stated that at the opening of school the total attending was 734 but that nearly 1000 should be in school. “This being so it is very evident….that there will be insufficient accommodations if the compulsory Education Law is strictly enforce. “
The Board of Education Minutes of October 21, 1895 reads that “a teacher be employed at $7.00 per week and only by the week to teach at Addison.” The March 2, 1896 minutes report that “Miss Wright be paid $7.00 per week for teaching school in the Ives Block.” classes had also been held in the (Ives) Opera House.”
The present Alexandria School was built in 1896 and the Weedville School was dedicated on October 24, 1901.
The total fuel bill for the schools in the year 1896-97 was $540.70. The total insurance was $102.50.
Even at that time parents had opinions as to which school they wished their children to attend. At the September 20, 1897 Board of Education meeting it was voted, “That families living west of the watering trough at the top of Cossey Hill or west of the line running south from said trough be allowed to send children to the Central Building.
Interest in the quality and training of its teachers is not new in Ticonderoga. The Board of Education on January 17, 1898 resolved – “That no teacher not now in the employ of this District shall hereafter be hired except normal graduates and the present teachers not now holding lst grade certificates or Normal Diplomas must obtain such certificates or Diplomas prior to September lst, 1899, if to be retained in the employ of this District.
Geography Text Book – 1865
A Special Board meeting on September 11, 1899, at another special meeting, the Building Committee was instructed to arrange for sinks and water closets at the Central Building.
In 1905 negotiations were started to close the Addision Junction School and to transport the pupils to Ticonderoga.
In February 1906 a Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary was purchased for Weedville School.
After the voters approved the Board of Education called for bids for a New High School Building to be submitted by April 18th, 1906 On May 12, 1906 the old Central Building (Academy) was sold in three parts, at a public auction. The total sale of the parts came to $175. and on the same date proposals for sale of bonds for a total of $45,000 for construction of new building were posted. This as later changed to $53,000. A special School Meeting on July 31,1906 approved this measure 110 to 14. The Pad Factory (1964 it was Christmas Club Building, today it is an apartment building.) was equipped for the holding of classes during the time of construction.