A Fort Crown Point Day
Sunday, May 13th, 2017 was a memorial unveiling of a “New” Knox Cannon Trail” marker at the Crown Point State (NY) Historic Site. From the day’s dedication ceremony souvenir handout , we were reminded that in 1927 fifty-six monuments, 30 in New York and 26 in Massachusetts, were installed along – the route that Gen Henry Knox took between December 5, 1775 and January 24, 1776 from Fort Ticonderoga (NY) to Boston (MA) . The mighty task brought the much needed heavy artillery to General Washington, who at that was entrenched along Dorchester Heights, needed to assist with the removal of the British from Boston. However, that 1920s marker commemoration did not include the fact that 29 of those cannon, and other important military items, General Knox carried with him, came from the ruins of Fort Crown Point – built by General Jeffrey Amherst in 1759.
Fort Crown Point – Museum Model
That omission finally was corrected with yesterday’s unveiling ceremony outside the site’s Museum Building. It was through the energy and dedication, along with their generous financial assistance, that several organizations including: N.Y.S. Organization, Daughters of the American Revolution, (and our own local Chapter – Ticonderoga D.A.R.) , Parks and Trails New York, Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area, Friends of Crown Point Sate Historic Site and others that this omission was corrected.
The Ticonderoga Historical Society salutes all those individuals and organizations during the pass several years that made all this happen on Saturday, May 13th, 2017. A very good deed well done!!
Our photo album contribution of the day ~~
Long before the American Revolution the British and French both laid claim to Crown Point. The French built Fort St. Frederic here between 1734 and 1737 and used it as a base for raids on British settlements.
Fort St. Frederick – Museum Model