The historically significant Clegg Mural has been conserved, installed in a new museum style framed and returned to the Hancock House.
This mural represents significant historic battlefields from Plattsburgh to Saratoga and sites in Vermont. Although this important piece of regional art has been returned to the Hancock House the total expense for its preservation was greater than anticipated. Thankfully we had an faithful patron, who made a generous donation, provided additional funds in the form of a loan, to ensure this endeavor was completed. The Society is in the need of additional donations ($5,000) to help pay off this loan. Any contributions would be very much appreciated.
Funding is being provided by the Greater Hudson Heritage Network in partnership with public funds provided by the New York State Council on the Arts (NYSCA), with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature.
The four-foot by eight-foot mural was created by English graphic artist Ernest Clegg and is a one-of-a-kind work commissioned by Horace Moses for the 1926 Hancock House opening.
As an incentive to supporters, those who donate $100.00 or more to this particular effort will receive a free copy of the new privately printed book: "A PictorialHistory of the Life and Accomplishments of Horace A. Moses 1862 - 1947, written and compiled by Robert W. Kidd and William B. Barber, highlights the local philanthropist who gifted the Hancock House to Ticonderoga. Normally priced at $30.00 this book is a must for serious collectors of Ticonderoga material and is limited in supply.